WINNING RECIPE!!! Butternut Squash Tart with Lively Run Goat Cheese and Caramelized Onion by Ronata Robertson Stapel
- 1 small butternut squash
- 1-1/2 tsp. olive oil plus about 2 teaspoons for brushing squash
- 1 c. chopped onion
- 1-1/2 T. unsalted butter
- 1 whole large egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 1/3 c. heavy cream
- 1/4 c. smoked Gouda
- 1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 4oz. Tube crumbled lively Run chèvre
- 1 tsp. minced fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp. minced fresh thyme
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 c. bread crumbs
For the crust:
Use your favorite recipe! Or message me for a good one!
For the filling:
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Halve the squash and scoop out seeds. Lightly brush each cut side of squash with about 1 teaspoon oil and lay cut sides down on a baking pan. Roast in middle of oven for about 40 minutes, or until soft.
- While squash is roasting, place skillet over medium heat. Add 1/2 tablespoon butter and remaining 1-1/2 teaspoons oil, plus the onion. Stir occasionally, until soft and just golden brown, about 20 minutes
- Cool squash and scoop out flesh. In a food processor purée squash. Add whole egg, egg yolk, and cream, and blend well. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and stir in cheeses, herbs, onion, salt, and pepper to taste. Pour filling into shell, smoothing the top.
- In a small bowl, melt remaining tablespoon butter in the microwave. Stir in bread crumbs until combined well. Sprinkle bread crumb mixture evenly over filling. Bake tart in middle of oven 40 minutes, or until filling is set. Cool tart in pan on rack 10 minutes and carefully remove rim.
This recipe was entered in the 2014 Holiday Recipe Competition.