Grilled Pumpkin with Goat Cheese & Lemon Zest by Emma Frisch
Emma Frisch is a cook, blogger (emmafrisch.com), free-lance food writer and former farmer. She is Co-Founder and Director of Culinary Experience at Firelight Camps (firelightcamps.com) and was a top finalist on Food Network Star Season 10.
Yield: About 4 servings
Preparation time: About 10 minutes
Cooking time: About 14 minutes
- 1/2 small pumpkin, cut into crescent moons
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 tablespoon pumpkin spice
- 1/3 cup crumbled, plain goat cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- In a large Ziploc bag, shake together the pumpkin slices, maple syrup and pumpkin spice. Pack this in your picnic basket or backpack.
- In a separate medium Ziploc bag, shake together the goat cheese, sea salt, pepper and lemon zest. Pack this in your picnic basket or backpack.
- Fire up the BioLite CampStove with the Portable Grill attachment.
- Once the grill is hot, use tongs or a fork to lay the pumpkin slices evenly on the grill (reserve extra maple syrup in the Ziploc). Cook for 5-7 minutes on each side, until charred and fork-tender.
- Transfer the pumpkin to a plate and sprinkle the goat cheese mixture on top. (If you are making the Mushroom & Leek Quinoa Risotto, use the hot grill to prepare the leeks at this time).
- Go the extra step. Replace the Portable Grill with the KettlePot and heat the reserved spiced maple syrup. This will only take a minute. Pour the warmed syrup over the pumpkin and devour.
This recipe was entered in the 2014 Holiday Recipe Competition.